SmartStream, a global software and managed services provider to the world’s top banks, asset managers, custodians and broker dealers, is looking for a fixed-term Group Operations Accounting Manager to join our expanding team in Bristol.
This a new opportunity, supporting the Group Finance Operations Controller in financial processing and controls and on specific improvement projects. This is an excellent role in which to develop your financial operations and controls career within a supportive team that manages infrastructure across processes, GL, AP, cashbook transactions, group policies and travel and insurance on a global basis. Driven, adaptable and autonomous individuals would thrive in this fast-paced yet supportive environment.
The post is for an initial 6 month term with the potential for extension if the need continues.
This is a new fixed-term role which supports the Group Finance Operations Controller in financial processing and controls and on specific improvement projects including:
- Migration of world-wide banking from 18 different providers to 1 core brand
- Implementation of CONCUR Invoice
- Enhancement of implemented CONCUR Expense
- Developing reporting and controls for global travel activity and CONCUR
- Updating release of core ERP system.
Routine activities include:
- Treasury management ensuring sufficient funds available in all entities and banks
- General Ledger and Purchase Ledger maintenance
- Analytical review of Corporate / Facilities costs including accruals and prepayments as needed
- Creditors reviews
- Travel Administration.
Activities for the post-holder will depend on the prioritisation and workload at the time. One-off activity might include review of suppliers and assigning activity categories, then uploading to CONCUR and GP or working with users to specify spend reports for Travel. Ongoing activity might include monitoring GP for suspended batches and making the requisite changes to account cards to clear the problem. Flexibility and the drive to achieve goals are crucial.
- Precision and Accuracy in describing and posting transactions.
- Good organisation and planning skills to ensure that the workload is managed and deadlines achieved. Out-of-hours working may be required at month-ends and there may be some long-notice international travel.
- Ability to identify and solve problems and to seek assistance where appropriate.
- Personal integrity to deal appropriately with confidential information.
- Able to develop good working relationships locally and internationally.
Qualifications and Experience
It is expected the successful candidate will be Part Qualified with one of the major UK accounting bodies or hold an AAT qualification but experienced unqualified candidates will be considered. The nature of the work is intellectually challenging and requires tenacity in establishing the full story and recommending the appropriate action.
- Previous supervisory or management experience in a small team environment.
- Able to quickly learn new applications, including non-financial tools and processes.
- Implementation experience in one or more of the listed project activities is advantageous.
- 2+ years experience of preparing reconciliations of prepayments and accruals that convey the story rather than list transactions.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Experience of multi-currency working and culture in a financial role.
- Knowledge of CONCUR and GP is extremely advantageous
- 2+ years use of a financial systems package such as GP, Sage etc. Experience with a related reporting / data extraction tool is advantageous
- Excel skills sufficient to manipulate and tabulate data using Pivot Tables, conditional calculations and linked workbook
- Competitive salary.
- 25 days annual holiday.
- Company pension scheme matching up to 5% of salary.
- Private medical insurance plus life assurance coverage.
- Flexible benefits platform including GymFlex, Cycle2Work and Give-As-You-Earn scheme.